Staphylococcus aureus is usually harmless but in susceptible patients can cause severe skin infections, pneumonia and toxic shock syndrome. The strain MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus), is dangerous because it’s highly resistant to treatment with conventional drugs. This can cause internal infections in vulnerable patients. Abscesses causing fevers, pus and pain can develop.
The most common way our dogs contract this is through surgery.
Unfortunately, my own dog contracted this scary and dangerous infection after she had acl surgery for one of her knees. The bacteria enters the dog’s body by way of catheters, surgical wounds, feeding tubes or invasive medical procedures. With dog health care being so advanced today, you would think this cannot happen. However, with people and pets, it is a very real possibility.
In Chapter four in my ebook I go into great detail about how I dealt with my own dog contracting this dreadful disease and what I did to have her healthy and still alive today. This is something that is a potential risk for anyone owning a pet and them having to undergo surgery. Recognizing the signs and symptoms could save your dog if they contract it from an acl surgery or from another surgical procedure.
My dog had her hind limb swell up like a balloon. The swelling was far greater than the other leg which had the same surgery 6 months earlier. She was in obvious discomfort, more than the expected amount. She refused to use her leg and then the most frightening thing happened…her incision which was healed had opened up and started weeping.
MRSA is a frightening illness; know what to do should your beloved dog contract this. You will be glad you found out in time…
Have you ever been through this ordeal? Share your story below!